Marcia Mikhael is carried out of the Lindt Cafe by police rescue officers.
Marcia Mikhael is carried out of the Lindt Cafe by police rescue officers. AP Rob Griffith

Sydney Siege victim wants "six figures" for story

A SYDNEY siege hostage offered to sell her first-hand account for no less than "a six-figure sum" after it became clear she would be entitled to just $1500 compensation after being caught up in the terrorist attack.

The amount is tiny in comparison to those caught up in similar attacks while overseas.

The Daily Mail reports Marcia Mikhael, 42, was one of the few hostages left inside the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place when police stormed in and shot dead gunman Man Haron Monis on December 15.

A lawyer for Ms Mikhael, who works as a Wespac executive, told The Australian newspaper his client was sitting near Katrina Dawson when Ms Dawson was killed in the police crossfire.

She had a "wonderful story to tell", Jason Arraj said.
 

 

Harriette Denny is released from the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in Sydney's Martin Place where she had been kept hostage for 16 hours
Harriette Denny is released from the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in Sydney's Martin Place where she had been kept hostage for 16 hours

 

Ms Mikhael was one of several hostages forced to record a chilling video message in front of a black Islamic flag to relay several demands required by Monis.

The mother of three had offered her story for a six-figure sum and did not "want to be insulted" with anything less, Mr Arraj said.

"It's got to be a win-win business transaction... so when I say I don't want to be - insulted, I'm saying I don't want a figure of A$10,000 - that's not going to cut it at all," Mr Arraj told The Australian.

He said Ms Mikhael would put the money towards a foundation she wanted to set up. It "is not for the purpose of making a dollar for the benefit of Marcia herself".

Australian victims of terror attacks that occur overseas are entitled to up to $75,000 under Commonwealth law.

The same rules do not apply for those affected by domestic attacks.

That figure would have been as high as $50,000 but was cut down to a maximum of $15,000 in 2013.

The maximum payments for the NSW victims support scheme were cut from A$50,000 to A$15,000 plus costs back in 2013.

 

 



Tweed star is synching the competition

Tweed star is synching the competition

Tweed's synchronised swimmers dominate nationals

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

62 shark sightings in 5 hours keep lifesavers busy

DPI aerial patrols continue to report sharks chasing bait fish

'Let dad's plaque stay': family upset at memorial's removal

'Let dad's plaque stay': family upset at memorial's removal

New counncil memorial policy upsets family

Local Partners