Teacher accused of sex abuse has been working in QLD
THE Queensland Education Department has stood down an employee at the centre of allegations of an 18-year sexual and physical abuse spree at three Tweed Heads schools starting in the late 1980s.
It comes after My Daily News contacted the department to check whether the teacher had crossed the border to work in the Queensland state school system following the recent airing of claims that he abused students at Murwillumbah East Public School's Special Education Unit, Tweed Heads South Public School and Centaur Primary School.
Late on Wednesday , Craig Allen, Assistant Director-General, Human Resources, said the department had taken "immediate action to stand down a casual departmental employee upon learning of these serious allegations".
"This casual employee is not a teacher and does not have any classroom contact with children," Mr Allen said in a statement.
"The allegations have been referred to the department's Ethical Standards Unit for immediate investigation.
"No other details are available while the matter is under investigation and for privacy reasons."
A NSW Education Department spokesman said the teacher had not worked in their system since 2004 "and is flagged as a person not to be employed in any capacity by the department".
Banora Point whistleblower Fiona Barnett, who has conducted a nine year investigation into the accused teacher's activities, said she was horrified and disgusted to learn he had been employed in another another state education system.
Ms Barnett said it highlighted the cross-border loopholes that existed.
She called for a national system to be set up where education staff banned in one state are blacklisted across the country.
A Bravehearts spokesman said the anti-abuse group was also campaigning for such a national system.
Last week Ms Barnett was questioned for two hours by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in Brisbane hotel room after submitting a 27-page report outlining accounts of abuse at local schools involving the teacher.
A Federal Education Department spokesman confirmed they do not keep records or lists of banned teachers or state education staff and referred My Daily News to the State education departments.
My Daily News has not named the teacher for legal reasons.