Teen loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

A WINE bar in the UK has been fined $244,600 after an 18-year-old girl had to have her stomach removed after drinking a free liquid nitrogen cocktail.

According to the Daily Mail, Gaby Scanlon, now 20, started vomiting after drinking the shot of Jagermeister laced with gas at her birthday.

Liquid nitrogen can be as cold as -196 degrees Celsius and doctors were forced to remove her stomach in order to save her life.

Oscar's Wine Bar had previously been warned about the risks of using the gas but prosecutor Barry Berlin said they "didn't properly police it".

Ms Berlin told the court how Miss Scanlon became violently ill after consuming the drink.

"She vomits clear liquid, pouring from her mouth and steam comes out of her nose.

"The liquid nitrogen hits her stomach and begins killing her internal tissue."

Miss Scanlon gave a statement to the court saying she immediately felt like she was "expanding".

"I tried to undo my skirt as my stomach had expanded because of the gas."

A representative for the wine bar said they "have learned their lesson every day for the last three years".

- nzherald.co.nz



Greens raise hospital concerns in Parliament

Greens raise hospital concerns in Parliament

Greens want new hospital on current site at Tweed Heads.

Skipping along the Mud Trail

Skipping along the Mud Trail

Get your hands dirty while learning all about pottery

Fingal to get its angel rings

Fingal to get its angel rings

Drownings force government to install lifesaving devices

Local Partners