A MAN who cut off a GPS tracker so he could go on a crime spree across North Queensland was arrested by Townsville police yesterday morning.

The 18-year-old Currajong man had been wanted by police since his parole-issued GPS ankle bracelet was removed on November 17.

Townsville Tactical Crime Squad officer in charge Senior Sergeant Jason Shepherd said the man and a 17-year-old male accomplice from Kelso were arrested by police in Hugh St.

Sen-Sgt Shepherd said charges were expected to be laid today regarding a number of property offences allegedly committed by the pair in Townsville, Ingham and Cairns.

"Unfortunately, as we predicted (when the GPS was removed) the suspect has what we suspect committed a number of property crime offences," Sen-Sgt Shepherd said.

News Corp Australia

Sen-Sgt Shepherd said police were searching for the 18-year-old offender since November 17 and were visiting his known associates in an effort to track him down.

He said officers witnessed the pair enter a car at family member's address when police stopped the vehicle from leaving the driveway.

Police rushed the car and had to smash windows to get to the offenders.

"There was a bit of a struggle," Sen-Sgt Shepherd said.

"The officers involved did try to get into the vehicle in a hurry so they were trying to break glass because the vehicle was locked and to try and stop the vehicle from getting away."

Sen-Sgt Shepherd said CCTV footage and witness statements allegedly connected the pair to offences in Cairns and possible Ingham.

The men were remanded in custody with charges pending.

They are expected to front court today.



Foxtel to launch Australia's first 4k channel

Foxtel to launch Australia's first 4k channel

Australian cricket fans will be among the first to benefit

Student calling for more blood donations

Student calling for more blood donations

High school student calling on community to donate blood.

North Coast health unit denies diphtheria claim

North Coast health unit denies diphtheria claim

Health unit says claims by Shadow Health Minister are "incorrect”.

Local Partners