Throw out your gas cookers made before July 2015

IF you own a butane gas cooker made before July 2015, you need to throw it out.

That is the message from the Queensland Government after two explosions in Far North Queensland put four people in hospital last week.

People in Rockhampton and Bundaberg have been urged to take special notice of this warning as these potentially dangerous cookers could be lurking in sheds and garages. Many of these gas cookers were trucked to the areas to help those impacted by Cyclone Marcia in 2014.

Natural resources minister Anthony Lynham said safety mechanisms on the devices were not working.

"When the cooker overheats the gas canister is supposedly supposed to eject from the cooker," he said.

He said when it failed to eject, the gas canister would explode.

"Anyone who bought one of these butane gas lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 should stop using it and dispose of it.

"They are potentially lethal."

Dr Lynham said there had been nine incidents in about a year involving these cookers.



Student calling for more blood donations

Student calling for more blood donations

High school student calling on community to donate blood.

North Coast health unit denies diphtheria claim

North Coast health unit denies diphtheria claim

Health unit says claims by Shadow Health Minister are "incorrect”.

Soak up the love and culture at O'Heart Festival

Soak up the love and culture at O'Heart Festival

Tyalgum event offers 'quintessential' Northern Rivers experience.

Local Partners