Thunderstorm on the way for Grafton and Coffs
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning for large hailstones, heavy rainfall and damaging wind has been issued for Grafton and Coffs Harbour.
The Bureau of Meteorology issued the warning at 2.28pm for people in the Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Upper Western, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Riverina and Lower Western Forecast Districts.
Locations which may be affected include Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Taree, Newcastle, Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Batemans Bay, Armidale, Orange, Canberra, Goulburn, Tamworth, Moree, Dubbo, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Tibooburra, Cobar and Bourke.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep clear of fallen power lines.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.