Tick paralysis surge on Coast pets
LOCAL veterinarian Andrew Blum has urged pet owners to carry out daily checks for ticks after a surge of tick-related patients at his surgery.
Mr Blum said his business, Greencross Vets in Palm Beach, had seen unusually large numbers of cats and dogs with tick paralysis for this time of year.
“It is peak tick season at the moment but we have seen an increase on numbers from last year,” Dr Blum said.
“People are bringing their pets in too late and they don’t realise tick paralysis can be fatal.
“Paralysis ticks are most commonly picked up by pets when moving through bush land, thick grass or vegetation but can attach themselves to all pets.”
Dr Blum said once attached to an animal, the tick secreted a dangerous toxin which spread around the body and resulted in signs of tick toxicity.
He said many signs of tick paralysis could be confused with other ailments but pet owners should get anything unusual checked early by a veterinarian.
Dr Blum said even if a tick was removed from the animal, signs could develop later as the toxin spread through the bloodstream.
“By delaying treatment of tick toxicity in our pets, it can result in their untimely death.”
Treatment for paralysis tick involves a tick antiserum and Dr Blum said the earlier pets were treated, the better the chances of recovery.