What, no beer?
What, no beer? Supplied

Tourists fail to offer beer for Aussie helping them out

A TERRITORY man who saved a car load of tourists after they were bogged has voiced his disgust at not being offered any beer as a sign of gratitude.

Orhan Yilmaz said pushing a bogged jeep while ankle deep in mud and fighting against the rising tide was the last thing he expected to be doing on Saturday afternoon.

He had just sat down with a beer on Gunn Point when he was told a few tourists had became bogged.

"Some young fellas came over on motorbikes, asking if we could help some tourists bogged out at the shore," he said. With an incoming tide, Mr Yilmaz considered the situation thoroughly, but after 20 minutes prepared his vehicle and set off.

"We drove out. It took an hour to set up and make sure I didn't get bogged," he said.

"They were looking for the prison, but were way off."

The car was tipped to one side, and the wheels submerged in mud. They struggled tirelessly through the sludge as water seeped through the earth, until the vehicle was recovered.

Every Territorian knows the given currency for such a good deed is a carton of beer and Mr Yilmaz said he expected at least a thank you

However, he said the tourists were less than appreciative. He said they stood around and said nothing, before taking off. "I was sort of p***ed off at the end of it. Usually, when you pull someone out of a bog they offer you a beer or a carton," he said.

"I could have left them there and they'd have lost everything."

News Corp Australia


Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Queensland border: Opening with NSW in November may be in doubt

Light rail project connecting Tweed to the GC gathers pace

Premium Content Light rail project connecting Tweed to the GC gathers pace

$1M report to identify 5km corridor for future light rail extension

New crackdown on illegal NSW e-cigarette sales

Premium Content New crackdown on illegal NSW e-cigarette sales

Poisons lines inundated with calls about nicotine poisoning from vapers