Murwillumbah team complains about Kyogle after home loss

KYOGLE is one win away from a grand final after a hard-fought 20-16 victory over Murwillumbah in NRRRL at Stan Sercombe Oval, Murwillumbah yesterday.

The Mustangs were left seething when they were forced to play the final 25 minutes with 12 men after lock Ali Brown was sent off.

The Murwillumbah side were complaining about Kyogle forwards using elbows when they ran with the ball into tackles.

Tensions flared when Brown was penalised and then led with his head into a tackle in the next set.

Brown and Kyogle second rower Travis Falls exchanged haymakers before he was sent from the field.

"It might have been a send off, but what about Travis Falls throwing 500 punches and staying on the field," Murwillumbah player-coach Damian Quinn said.

"We complained last week and got the same result, so there is a few questions to be asked again.

"We led for a lot of the game and had our chances, so we just have to regroup and go again now."

Centre Marty Ferguson scored a try a couple of minutes after Brown left the field to narrow the margin to 12-10.

Mercurial centre Jone Macalia then pulled off a miracle try when he regathered his own kick to put the Turkeys back in front 14-12.

Murwillumbah weren't about to surrender as they regathered the ball from the resuming kick-off with winger Scott Nichols scoring a try in the corner as the lead changed again.

It could have gone either way before Kyogle centre Marty Ferguson scored his second of the afternoon in the closing minutes.

"That was just pure heart that game and we just want to keep going now," Kyogle coach Cameron Mulcahy said.

"To beat them here, two weeks in a row, is massive; they were definitely ready for us.

"We had blokes play full games in Under-18s who came on and helped us out, and that's what the season has been about."

Kyogle halfback Simon Pederson converted his own try in the first half before leaving the field with an ankle injury.

The experience of five-eighth Nigel Roy, prop Mat Cameron and Falls spurred the Turkeys home.

Second rower Kobi Mills was a standout for the Mustangs, scoring two tries.

Referee Troy Martin had a busy day with the whistle with two Kyogle players and a Murwillumbah player sent to the sin-bin for separate incidents during the game.

Earlier, Marist Brothers beat Kyogle 29-28 in Under-18s and Casino had a 24-10 win over the Turkeys in reserve grade.


Murwillumbah v Byron Bay at Stan Sercombe Oval (Saturday) minor semi-final

Ballina v Kyogle at Kingsford Smith Park, Ballina (Sunday) major semi-final

How red tape let vulnerable teens down

Premium Content How red tape let vulnerable teens down

The state’s child protection bureaucrats have been slammed over multiple suicides...

Rider in critical condition after motorbike crash

Premium Content Rider in critical condition after motorbike crash

He collided with a rock wall before being thrown from his motorbike.

Missing woman could be on the Northern Rivers

Missing woman could be on the Northern Rivers

Police are appealing for help to locate Jana Naude, 35