Tweed Heads man charged over murder
A TWEED Heads man has been charged with a 12-year-old Sydney murder.
David Ronald George Bartley, of Piggabeen Road, was refused bail in Tweed Heads Court yesterday, charged with murder, robbery in company and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
Mr Bartley was arrested on Thursday over the death of New Zealand man Peter Norman Golley 12 years ago, three years after he was attacked in Sydney.
The 54-year-old victim was discovered unconscious in Canterbury on May 12 1994. Police inquiries revealed he had been assaulted and robbed.
Mr Golley was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital with severe head injuries and placed on life support.
He died in New Zealand three years later.
Strike Force Errode, comprising detectives from Campsie, Marrickville and Leichhardt, along with the state’s Homicide Squad, was formed to investigate the circumstances leading to Mr Golley’s death.
Following a number of lines of inquiry, Campsie detectives travelled to Tweed Heads on Thursday and arrested Mr Bartley.
Campsie Superintendent Peter Lennon said the arrest was a tribute to the tenacity of all who had served on the strike force.
“Police continue to keep working on these matters regardless of how many years have passed,” Supt Lennon said.
Mr Bartley’s case was adjourned to Burwood Court House in Sydney on November 3.