Fast thinker Christopher McCure with dog Sammy escaped the potential fire disaster.
Fast thinker Christopher McCure with dog Sammy escaped the potential fire disaster. John Gass

Close call for lodge residents

A TWEED Heads lodging house escaped going up in flames thanks to the quick thinking of one of its residents.

Firefighters from the Tweed Heads Fire Station attended the scene in Enid Street, but the flames had already been extinguished by resident Christopher McCure.

It was a close call, but no injuries were sustained, with all the residents swiftly evacuated from the building.

Josephine Musso, manager of Kulkarni Lodge, said the fire had started about 1am yesterday.

“We were having a barbecue in the backyard when one of the residents noticed smoke coming from the house,” Ms Musso said.

“One of the residents had left a cigarette on the bed and it had caught fire. I made sure everybody was out and we did a head count before the firies came.

“It scared me though, you think ‘oh my God I can not believe this is happening'.

“I was worried the house would burst into flames. You don't expect things like this to happen.”

Ms Musso said all the fire extinguishers and alarms in the house had recently been checked and found to be in working order.

“This is why it so important to make sure you have a working fire extinguisher. If we didn't then it could have been a lot worse.”

It is also imperative to make sure cigarettes and butts are safely disposed of.

Resident Mr McCure said his first thought had been to grab the fire extinguisher.

“My dad was a firefighter and he taught me well. I grabbed the extinguisher and put out the fire,” Mr McCure said.

He said the incident showed it was vital for every house to not just have a fire extinguisher, but for its residents to know how to operate it.

Tweed Heads Fire Station senior firefighter Cole Smith said officers had ensured there were no contaminants in the building before residents were allowed to re-enter it.



'Each day is more golden': MOL's gift to embattled local

'Each day is more golden': MOL's gift to embattled local

Community bands together to help Tweed man after surfing accident

'Rude' car vandal on the run

'Rude' car vandal on the run

Mother furious after son's car vandalised at Banora High School.

Banora Primary tennis stars on point

Banora Primary tennis stars on point

Young aces fire into NSW semi-finals

Local Partners