Charges bring relief for Lynette Daley's family
UPDATE, 2.15PM: THE phone calls started coming in to Gordon and Thelma Davis' Yamba home at 6pm yesterday.
First from the Attorney General, the Department of Public Prosecutions, then the media organisations.
In fact, Mr Davis said his phone hadn't stopped ringing since Adrian Attwater and Paul Maris were charged over the manslaughter of his stepdaughter Lynette Daley.
"They told me before it hit the news," he said.
"We were all choked up, crying and that because it was a relief. It was a big relief for all of us.
"All of the emotions from the last five years just hit us all last night; all the despair and knock-backs and injustices. Something good must come of it now."
UPDATE, 10.45AM: THE Director of Public Prosecutions Lloyd Babb SC has released the following statement.
"On 11 May 2016 I released a statement announcing that I was taking the unusual step of seeking advice from independent counsel prior to making my decision about whether this matter should proceed to trial.
"I am now able to advise that I have made a decision in this matter.
"I have decided - significantly assisted by advice from independent counsel - to proceed with a prosecution against Adrian Attwater for the offences of manslaughter and aggravated sexual intercourse without consent.
"I have also decided to proceed with a prosecution against Paul Maris for aggravated sexual intercourse without consent and accessory after the fact to manslaughter.
"I acknowledge the distress this matter has bought to Ms Daley's family, and the concern it has caused the community.
The matter is now before court and no further comment will be issued."
EARLIER: POLICE have charged two men in relation to the death of Lynette Daley at Ten Mile Beach, north of Iluka in 2011.
A police spokesman has confirmed a 42 year-old man was served with a court attendance notice at his residence in Townsville early on Wednesday.
He has been charged with manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault.
Another man, aged 46 years, was charged with accessory after the fact to manslaughter and aggravated sexual assault.
Both men are due to face Grafton Local Court on August 2.
Ms Daley died during a camping trip to the beach in January 2011.
A coronial inquest found she died from internal injuries.
Two men were previously charged over her death but the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions, Lloyd Babb SC, decided not too proceed with the case.
An ABC-TV Four Corners program in May put the case in the national spotlight and caused widespread anger.
That prompted NSW Attorney-General Gabrielle Upton to ask the DPP to reconsider his decision.
Mr Babb appointed Philip Strickland SC and Belinda Baker to consider the evidence and give him their opinion.