Emerging Wallaby on assault charge

EMERGING Wallaby Kurtley Beale is facing an assault charge, the second Australian rugby squad player to attract a legal problem in less than a week.

Fairfax reported yesterday that Beale, the 20-year-old Waratahs five-eighth, has been charged with common assault over what is understood to be an alleged domestic violence incident arising from a family birthday party in western Sydney in July.

Beale is due to face Mt Druitt Local Court on January 13 and will not return to NSW training until after that date.

Fairfax understood the complaint was made by his female cousin but no injuries were reported.

Beale’s agent, Isaac Moses, and the barrister representing him, Stephen Stanton, were unavailable for comment but an ARU spokesman said the five-eighth plans to fight the charge.

“Kurtley has told us he will vigorously defend the charge and denies the allegation,” said the spokesman.

“He is entitled under the justice system to the presumption of innocence.”

Beale made his Test debut just last month on the European tour.

National teammate Quade Cooper is also fighting charges in Queensland.

He will defend allegations he broke into a Surfers Paradise home on December 6 and stole two laptops in the hours after attending teammate Peter Hynes’s buck’s party.

His case in Southport Magistrates Court has been adjourned until July 2010.



Space-age reaches the Tweed

Space-age reaches the Tweed

Unique Duranbah Hill home nears completion.

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Tweed rallies to help sick Caitlin

Can you spare a few dollars?

Local Partners