We will remember them
AT the 11th hour tomorrow people on the Tweed and southern Gold Coast will join other Australians to observe a minute's silence to remember those who paid the ultimate price in war.
Murwillumbah RSL Sub-branch secretary Kevin Cheetham said the sub-branch would lay 20 white crosses to honour defence force members on Remembrance Day, including one for Rowan Robinson and Nathan Bewes who were killed in Afghanistan.
"Half of the crosses will be for the 10 ex-service members of the RSL that died this year and the other 10 will be placed on the Sandakan Memorial Walkway in relation to where their bodies were recovered," Mr Cheetham said.
"Murwillumbah Public School is conducting the service and Murwillumbah High School band will be assisting."
Currumbin RSL president Ron Workman said this year's Remembrance Day would be the 93rd anniversary of the signing of the Armistice to end the First World War.
SERVICES AROUND THE REGION
BURLEIGH HEADS RSL
- Parade from 10.45am (Qld) and commemoration service from 10.50am at the cenotaph in War Memorial Park, cnr of Connor St and Gold Coast Hwy.
CURRUMBIN PALM BEACH RSL
- White Cross of Remembrance ceremony from 10.10am (Qld) and the Remembrance Day cenotaph service will run from 10.30-11.40am.
- Specials guests will be Keith Payne.
- Currumbin Creek Rd.
- Commemoration service with guests to arrive at 10.15am (NSW) for a 10.30am start.
- Guest speaker will be Major Paul Randall of the Royal Australian Army.
- The service will be attended by students from St Anthony's.
- A luncheon will be held after the service at the Cudgen Leagues Club.
- Cenotaph on Marine Pde.
- Guests to arrive at 10.30am (NSW) for a 10.45am start.
- A total of 20 white crosses will be laid to pay tribute to the fallen including for Rowan Robinson and Nathan Bewes.
- Cenotaph on Tumbulgum Rd.
TWEED HEADS & COOLANGATTA RSL
- Guests to arrive at 10.45am (NSW).
- Service to run from 10.55-11.20am.
- Twin Towns Services Club, Tweed Heads.
- A simple service will performed from 10.45am (NSW).
- Uki Public School students will participate in the service at the Uki cenotaph.
- Kyogle Rd.