Mick and Dot Johansen on their wedding day in 1950.
Mick and Dot Johansen on their wedding day in 1950.

Mick Johansen remembered as a good mate, father and husband

WHEN Harold Frederick "Mick" Johansen passed away on May 30, this year, he was happy to be home.

The 88-year-old died at Seabreeze Community Aged Care, Pottsville, the facility is built on land which was once the Johansen family dairy farm.

"He said he was home," his bereaved wife Dorothea "Dot" Johansen said.

"He was very happy to die there."

Born on July 2, 1924, Mr Johansen was the second child and first son of Ettie and Harold Johansen.

He was younger brother to Hazel , 91, and older brother to Clyde , Donald , 87, and Ray .

Growing up on the Pottsville family farm was an idyllic childhood.

"He loved it. It was close to the beach," Mrs Johansen said.

"He had a very happy family life."

Mr Johansen and his brothers were sport mad, and played cricket, football and tennis, and also enjoyed a spot of boxing.

"He was very athletic," Mrs Johansen said.

At 17-years-old Mr Johansen put up his age and enlisted in the army. However, when his father found out he informed the authorities.

Undeterred, Mr Johansen tried to join again, and this time his father did not stop him. He was enlisted in 1942.

His discharge certificate shows he served 1509 days, with 516 spent in PNG.

He was a good husband....I was in love with him all the way through...I miss him terribly.

Although the soon to be Mr and Mrs Johansen had known each other since childhood, she was raised on a dairy farm at Stokers Siding, it was not until Mr Johansen joined the army that the romance began.

Mrs Johansen was working in Brisbane as a clerk where she would meet up with Mr Johansen when he had weekend leave.

They would go to balls and the "Amateur Hour" at the theatre.

In 1948 the couple decided to marry; the wedding was held on February 11, 1950, at the Church of England, Murwillumbah.

They moved to Kingscliff and three years later they began their family.

Graeme was born in 1953 and Jon , just a year later, in 1954.

Mrs Johansen said her husband was a good father and loved his boys.

"He wasn't very strict. He was a bit too easy," she said.


The couple had a very happy married life; Mrs Johansen described him as "a wonderful man."

"He was a good husband. We had our ups and downs, but he was a good provider."

"I was in love with him all the way through."

"I miss him terribly."

The couple raised their young family while Mr Johansen worked as a truck driver, later running his own trucking business which shipped minerals and fertilisers between the Tweed and Brisbane.

However, the heavy work took its toll. He retired in 1972 with back and shoulder problems.

He was a member of Rotary and Kingscliff RSL where he forged lasting friendships.

"He was a real man's man," Mrs Johansen said.

"He was a happy man; enjoyed football, had great friends. He was a generous man,"

After retiring the couple spent the last of their 64 years of marriage together on a small property at Cudgen where Mr Johansen grew vegetables and fruits.

In the final stages of his life he suffered from dementia.

The family held a memorial at Melaleuca Station Memorial Gardens and Crematorium, Cudgen, the day after his death, on May 31.

The service was attended by hundreds of friends, which, Mrs Johansen said, was testament to how highly he was regarded.

He left behind three grandsons: Ben , Matthew and Christopher .

- Leave your tributes below in the comments section.

Celebrities line up to help raise funds at Kids in Need gala

Celebrities line up to help raise funds at Kids in Need gala

Don't miss out on this star-studded event

Three arrested after dramatic police pursuit at Tweed Heads

Three arrested after dramatic police pursuit at Tweed Heads

Two men and a woman are in custody after they crashed a stolen car.

'Horrible' scene confronted police after alleged murder

'Horrible' scene confronted police after alleged murder

Alleged attacker was taken to hospital with injuries

Local Partners