Wivenhoe Dam release continues

RELEASES from the Wivenhoe Dam to lower its drinking water level to 75 per cent will end tomorrow, a day earlier than anticipated.

It is expected Twin Bridges and Savages Crossing will re-opened by Thursday morning, 3 March, and Colleges Crossing by Friday morning, 4 March.

The release was extended by 36 hours after thunderstorms last week dumped more than 30mm into the catchment area.

That resulted in about 40,000 megalitres flowing into Wivenhoe and Somerset dams which added about four per cent to the water storage.

Seqwater which owns and operates the dams says the release pattern had to be temporarily slowed last week to allow for storm runoff to clear from rivers and creeks below the dam wall.

About 40 per cent of the dam’s capacity is devoted to storing drinking water and the remaining 60 per cent is for flood mitigation.

The dam is said to be 100 per cent full when the drinking water component is full.

The current release has been made because more rain is predicted for the region until at least April.
 



TOTAL FIRE BAN: Fireys issue warning for Friday

TOTAL FIRE BAN: Fireys issue warning for Friday

Ballina, Byron, Tweed, Richmond, Clarence, Lismore, Kyogle affected

COVID restrictions relaxed for weddings, schools, sport

Premium Content COVID restrictions relaxed for weddings, schools, sport

Parties of up to 20 people will be allowed to dance at weddings

Unit in two-storey commercial building damaged in fire

Premium Content Unit in two-storey commercial building damaged in fire

SMOKE was pouring from the building when firefighters arrived at the scene.