Woman in hospital after oven-cleaner hiccup remedy mixup

A FEMALE diner is in intensive care in hospital after staff at a Gold Coast restaurant accidentally gave her oven cleaner to cure her hiccups.

The woman, believed to be in her 40s, swallowed the corrosive liquid on May 30.

She had been finishing up a meal with a friend at The Point Restaurant at Paradise Point last week when she began hiccuping uncontrollably.

A helpful staffer advised that vinegar was an instant cure and called for a small glass of the liquid from the kitchen.

The woman downed the clear liquid that was given to her and began choking as horrified staff realised they had accidentally poured out oven cleaner instead of vinegar.

It is understood a small bottle of cleaning fluid positioned beside a large bottle of vinegar may have been picked up in error.

Read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin



Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Tweed Valley Relay for Life is almost here

Register your team for the fundraiser.

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Severe weather warning issued for Northern Rivers

Flash-flooding could occur on some of the region's roads

Murwillumbah talent wows country crowds

Murwillumbah talent wows country crowds

When you hear her voice, it's difficult to believe she's so young

Local Partners