Your guide to Cooly Rocks On 2012
ANNUAL border nostalgia festival Cooly Rocks On is now upon us for another year. Here are the highlights:
Thursday, June 7
* Rockabilly Rampage, a rocking concert including Atomic Hi-Tones, Flyin' Saucers and Quick Draw McGraws at Cooly Hotel. Tickets $23 online or $28 at the door.
Friday, June 8
* JOK Celebration Concert with Frankie J Holden, Tony Worsley, Roland Storm and Sharon Rowntree at Coolangatta and Tweed Heads Golf Club. Tickets $27 online and $32 at the door.
* Si Cranstoun at the Cooly Hotel Friday night
Saturday, June 9
* Street Parade - starts at 9.30am but come along early and grab a piece of pavement along Marine Parade for the best view of the cars, bikes, floats, walkers, dancers, skaters and poodles.
Leading the parade this year will be COOLY ROCKS ON Ambassadors, Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde. Prizes will be awarded to the rock'n'rollers who put in a big effort to decorate themselves and their vehicles for the street parade so be sure to cheer for your favourites as they cruise by.
* On The Prowl with Frankie J Holden, Wilbur Wilde, Tony Worsley and Roland Storm at Coolangatta and Tweed Heads Golf Club. Tickets $27 online and $32 at the door.
* Swing Swing Swing, Swing City Marquee from 8-11pm. Swingforce Big Band, Toe Jammin', Dirty Boogie Band, Swing Katz, Well Swung Daddies. Swing demonstration 9.50pm. Tickets $23 online; $25 at the door.
* Rock till you drop, Rock'n'Roll Central - Tweed Civic Centre (8pm-11pm) Itchy Fingers, John Curtain, Purple Drippers. Tickets $18 online; $21 at the door.
* Youth Talent Quest Contestants must be aged 20 or under and must sing, dance or play to a nostalgic backdrop of '50s and '60s rock'n'roll, rockabilly or swing.
Great prizes are up for grabs including a first prize valued at $500. Heats will take place at the Kirra Hill Community Centre stage on Saturday, June 9 from 11.30am with the Grand Final on the Southern Cross University stage at the Jack Evans Boat Harbour stage from 12.15pm on Sunday, June 10.
* Si Cranstoun at the Cooly Hotel Saturday night
* Children's precinct, Southern Cross University Stage, Jack Evans Boat Harbour - 11.30am & 2pm - Children's activity stations - make and create.12.45pm & 2.45pm - Hula Hooping
Sunday, June 10
* Breakfast with the Stars hosted by Glenn A Baker in the Swing City Marquee. Lucky Starr, Si Cranstoun, Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde. Tickets $15 including hot breakfast and tea of coffee.
* Children's precinct, Southern Cross University Stage, Jack Evans Boat Harbour - 11.30am Johnny Young Talent School Rock'n'Roll Concert 10am & 1.30pm - Children's activity stations - make and create noon, 1.30pm and 2pm - Hula Hooping
Poodle Oodle Parade - Put on your favourite 'Poodle Skirt' and come down to the corner of Griffith and Warner Streets, Coolangatta (lower courtyard below Montezumas) from 10am and cheer on your favourites in this fun-filled spectacle for all the family.
* World Freestyle Rock'n'Roll and Swing Championships at Coolangatta Tweed Heads Golf Club, Soorley Street, Tweed Heads South. Doors Open 8am. Competition starts 9am. Competition only: Adults $15; children $10 (16 yrs & under) Band only: (7.30pm) Adults $20; children $15 (16 yrs & under) Day Pass: (includes band) Adults $30; children $20 (16 yrs & under) Tables: Minimum of 8; must be pre-paid. For more information or to book tickets, contact John Watson 0407 147 181.
* Sunday Swing - Swing City Marquee - beachside Coolangatta (11.30am - 6pm) Itchy Fingers, Roland Storm, Tony Worsley, Mighty Guys, Lucky Starr, Round Mountain Girls.
Tickets $7 online; $10 at the door.
* Swinging the night away - Swing City Marquee - beachside Coolangatta (8pm-11pm) Well Swung Daddies, Toe Jammin', Dirty Boogie Band. Tickets $23 online; $25 at the door.
* Rock Your Sox Off - Rock'n'Roll Central - Tweed Civic Centre (8pm-11pm) Rockin' Bodgies, Breakaways. Tickets $21 online; $23 at the door.
* Rockabilly Rebelliono - Rockabilly House - Cooly Hotel (8pm) Retro Rockets, Firebirds, The Detonators and DJ Bernie Kline. Tickets $23 online; $25 at the door.
Monday, June 11
* All-star Extravaganza - Swing City Marquee - beachside Coolangatta (10am - 6pm). Join the day-long celebration of the best of COOLY ROCKS ON. The marquee will be full to the brim as one of the biggest line-ups of rock'n'roll bands and guest artists create a 'big day out' of rock'n'roll! Sweet Rock, Mighty Guys, Frankie J Holden, Wilbur Wilde, Roland Storm, Tony Worsley, Si Cranstoun, Retro Rockets, Dirty Boogie Band, She is the King, Damian Mullin, Lucky Starr, Itchy Fingers, Flattrakkers, Leisa Kerris. Book early for what promises to be a highlight of COOLY ROCKS ON 2012!
Tickets $30 online; $33 at the door.
What's your favourite event of Cooly Rocks On? Leave your comments below.