Zillman to fight for Titans' spot
THERE'S no end to the jockeying for positions at the Gold Coast Titans, and that has new recruit William Zillman hopeful of a bumper NRL year.
The former Raiders utility has yet to find his place in the squad, despite spending the last two trial games filling in at fullback for the injured Preston Campbell.
Zillman, who is also being considered at centre or five-eighth, said it was the mark of a team on the rise that so many positions were being hotly contested.
He has all but conceded the fullback position for round one, with Campbell well on the way to recovery from a sprained ankle.
The 22-year-old, lured to the Gold Coast on a four-year deal worth close to $1 million, will try to stake a claim elsewhere in the team, but isn't banking on a guaranteed start.
“My hand will be up, but I'm not sure how it will pan out,” he said.
“Competition in a team is definitely a good thing because it means we've got the back-up there and that we've got some really good young players coming through, like Shannon Walker.
“Wherever I play doesn't bother me as long as I can play some consistent football.”
Zillman, touted as a future Australian representative by coach John Cartwright, has yet to iron out all the kinks on his comeback trail, after two seasons marred by a knee injury.
“It's been 11 months now since my operation, so it's basically fully recovered and I really don't notice it now,” Zillman said.
Zillman played his first full game for the Titans in last week's trial match against the Sharks and is hopeful of a similar outing against the Warriors in Lismore on Saturday.
It is the Titans' last official hit-out before the season starts, hosting the Knights at Skilled Park on March 15.